Tamilnadu State Board New Syllabus Samacheer Kalvi 7th English Guide Pdf Term 1 Prose Chapter 2 The Wind on Haunted Hill Text Book Back Questions and Answers, Summary, Notes.
Tamilnadu Samacheer Kalvi 7th English Solutions Term 1 Prose Chapter 2 The Wind on Haunted Hill
7th English Guide The Wind on Haunted Hill Text Book Back Questions and Answers
1. Find the hidden words in the pictures. One has been done for you.
5 . Mirror
2. Solve these riddles.
|S.NO||Question (Who am I?)||Answer|
|1.||I have a face but no eyes, hands but no arms.||Clock|
|2.||I sit in a comer while travelling around the world.||Stamp|
|3.||I go up when rain comes down.||Umbrella|
|4.||I have a head and a tail but no body.||Coin|
Section – I
Textual Exercise (Text Book Page No. 112)
Work in pairs. Read the story above and find the answers to these questions.
1. What were the children doing beside the stone wall?
The children were spreading the clothes out to dry beside the stone wall.
2. What did Suresh ask Usha? Why?
Suresh asked Usha that won’t she be afraid of coming back to the village all alone. Because there were ghosts on the haunted hill.
3. Who told the children the story about the ghosts on Haunted Hill?
The grandfather told the children the story about the ghosts on Haunted Hill.
4. What did Usha see while walking to the bazaar?
Usha saw wild flowers, a wild plum tree, lizards, and a whistling-thrush while walking to the bazaar.
Section – II
Textual Exercise (Text Book Page No. 115)
Two scary events from this section are listed here. Write the events that take place in between in the correct order.
Section – III
Textual Exercise (Text Book Page No. 118)
Discuss with your partner and complete the table.
Read and Understand (Text Book Page No. 119)
A. Choose the most appropriate option.
1. The wind hurried and passed through the
a) apples and mangoes
b) pines and deodars
c) berries and cherries
b) pines and deodars
2. The market was away from the village.
a) 3 miles
b) 7 miles
c) 11 miles
a) 3 miles
3. Usha went to visit her house after shopping in the market.
4. Usha took shelter in the
5. At dawn, the began to sing.
B. Think and answer.
1. Why was it a struggle for the children to dry their clothes?
It was a struggle for the children to dry their clothes because there was always a wind – which blew away the clothes.
2. What story did grandfather tell them about the haunted hill?
The grandfather told them about the story of the ghosts on the haunted hill.
3. What did Usha buy in the market? List them.
Usha bought soap, matches, spices, sugar, a new pipe stem for grandfather’s hookah, an exercise book and marbles for Suresh, and a necklace for herself.
4. What scared Usha during the dark rainy night?
When Usha moved against the stones sideways she touched a soft and furry cat. Meanwhile, she gave a frightened cry and took her hand away. This made Usha to scare in the dark rainy night.
5. How did the children react when they met each other at the ruins?
When the children met each other at the ruins they fell into each other’s arms, they were surprised and relieved, that all they could do was laugh and giggle and repeat each other’s names.
C. Discuss in class.
“Was it just the wind?”- What do you think Usha thought it was? Why?
Usha did not believe that it was not just the wind because she had already heard about the story of the ghosts in the haunted hill from her grandfather. While returning to the village from the bazaar, she saw two small children in ghostly figures at the disused fireplace. And even she was stared by those ghostly figures staring behind her. In the opinion of Usha it was not just the wind, but the disembodied voice of those ghostly figures.
D. Unscramble the sound – describing words from the text. One has been done for you. (Text Book Page No. 120)
E.g.igeglg – giggle
- noam – moan
- mureb – rumble
- lowh – howl
- mobo – boom
- cohe – echo
- nogra – groan
E. The Detective’s Dictionary
Choose the correct word from the box and fill in the blanks.
1. A ……………. is someone who investigates a crime.
2. A ……………. is someone who suffers the effect of a crime.
3. Someone who might have committed a crime is a ……………..
4. A ……………. is an idea or fact that helps us solve a mystery.
5. An ……………. is the information we have that proves us that something is true.
Listening (Text Book Page No. 121)
F. Listen to the news report carefully and complete the following.
1. Name of the place
Gollamudi in Andhra Pradesh
2. What happened?
It rained heavily
3. What time of day did it happen?
4. What did the people say?
It was not a usual fish found there
5. What do strong winds and gales carry?
It carried fish and sea animals
Speaking (Text Book Page No. 121)
G. Work in pairs.
Have you ever been scared? What happened? How did you feel? Talk about it in one or two sentences with your friend. Repeat it to the class.
Yes, I have been scared. I am scared of clowns. Although they are very funny their painted face is very creepy and scary to me.
USE GRAMMAR (Text Book Page No. 123)
H. Frame five questions using the picture clues. Begin with “Have you ever”
Eg. Have you ever written a story?
1. Have you ever visited the Tajmahal?
2. Have you ever cooked biryani?
3. Have you ever watched a horror film?
4. Have you ever played Ten-pin bowling?
5. Have you ever gone swimming?
I. Fill in the blanks with the past perfect tense with the help of the words given in the brackets.
1. When Usha looked out of the window dark clouds …………………… (gather) over the mountains.
2. She had no umbrella with her; the weather …………………… (seem) so fine just a few hours ago.
3. All was dark again. Night …………………… (fall).
4. She ran towards the big gap in the wall through which she …………………… (enter).
5. Usha looked back at the ruins. The sun …………………… (come) up and was touching the top of the walls.
J. Read this text and fill in the blanks with future tenses.
India moves to Chennai to join an IAS coaching class. Tomorrow by this time, she will have joined (join) the class. She will be undergoing (undergo) training till next year. She will have worked (work)very hard by the time she comes home. Her parents will be worrying (worry) about her health all the time. They will have written (write)many letters by the time she comes home. They will be very happy when Iniya becomes an IAS officer.
Writing (Text Book Page No. 125)
K. Nalan’s grandfather showed him an old treasure trunk. A road map was stuck on the trunk. It showed the spot where a key was hidden. Look at the road map and write five directions to reach the spot where the key is hidden. Discuss with your partner and compare your directions with those of your classmates.
- Go straight and turn left and reach the hills.
- Turn right and walk across the hills.
- Then you will reach a pond and take right and walk along the road.
- Turn left and walk straight and again turn right.
- Walk down the road and you will find the keys between the rocks.
Creative Writing (Text Book Page No. 125)
Venba was walking along the beach. When she saw a beautiful green perfume bottle that had been washed up on the shore she bent down and picked it up. There was something inside the bottle and it was calling her. When she opened the bottle….?!!!
L. Imagine you are Venba and act the situations in the class. Then conclude this mysterious story in your own words. Write at least five or six sentences with the help of the words given in the box.
Venba was walking along the beach. When she saw a beautiful green perfume bottle that had been washed up on the shore she bent down and picked it up. There was something inside the bottle and it was calling her. When she opened the bottle she found a tiny bird. The bird had the magical power to talk and sing. The bird requested Venba to free it from the bottle. Venba freed the bird as the bird requested her. The bird flew happily out from the bottle. The little bird gifted a boon to Venba as a note of thank for free from the bottle.
The Wind on Haunted Hill Summary in English
In the Himalayan region, there is a hill, with heavy wind. There was a village nearby. Two children Usha and Suresh lived in the village with their grandfather. Binya was their friend Usha wanted to go bazaar at two in the afternoon. She bought things and then visited her aunt Lakshmi in her house. She repaired the slippers at Mochi’s shop. She set out for the village when it was dark.
The Wind on Haunted Hill Summary in Tamil
இமயமலைப் பகுதியில் ஒரு குன்று உள்ளது. எப்போதும் இப்பகுதியில் பலத்த காற்று வீசும். அருகே ஒரு கிராமமும் உண்டு. இரண்டு குழந்தைகள் உஷா மற்றும் சுரேஷ், பின்யா அவர்களின் தோழி ஆவாள். தங்கள் தாத்தாவுடன் வசித்து வந்தனர். மூத்தவள் உஷா கடைத்தெருவுக்கு செல்ல விரும்பினாள். மதியம் இரண்டு மணிக்கு கடைத்தெரு சென்றாள். பொருட்கள் வாங்கினாள். அத்தை லட்சுமி வீட்டுக்கு சென்று பேசிக் கொண்டிருந்தாள். மோச்சி கடையில் செருப்புகளை சரிசெய்து கொண்டு தன் கிராமத்துக்கு திரும்பினாள். இருட்டத் தொடங்கி விட்டது.