Tamilnadu State Board New Syllabus Samacheer Kalvi 8th English Guide Pdf Supplementary Chapter 5 When Instinct Works Text Book Back Questions and Answers, Summary, Notes.
Tamilnadu Samacheer Kalvi 8th English Solutions Supplementary Chapter 5 When Instinct Works
8th English Guide When Instinct Works Text book Back Questions and Answers
8th English When Instinct Works Textual Exercise Questions and Answers
I. Choose the best option.
1. The season mentioned in the story is ……………… .
2. In one low part of the road the ……………… was halfway up to black beauty’s knees.
a) the river
3. The bridge was broken in the ……………… .
4. The instinct in ……………… had often saved the lives of men.
5. Black beauty dared not move even to the sharp snap of the ……………… .
II. Match the following:
|1. Man at the toll gate.||d) flashing a torch|
|2. Bridge||e) sturdy rails|
|3. John||a) had many stories to tell.|
|4. Black beauty||b) wise|
|5. Animals||c) have special knowledge|
III. Fill in the blanks. (Text Book Page No. 147)
1. Just then, the man at the ……………… on the other side ran out,. ……………… a torch.
2. Even when John tried to ……………… him forward Beauty did not move.
3. We were saved because Beauty had known that something was ……………… with the bridge
4. Suddenly an ……………… tree came crashing down and fell right in front of us.
5. He told that the bridge had just broken due to the ……………… .
6. As we went through the wood, the of the trees were swaying and making a ……………… rushing sound.
7. A little later, when we reached the bridge Beauty came to a ……………… .
8. When we started back from the town, it was late in the ……………… . The wind was much ……………… .
9. John said we must go back to the ………………, find another way to the wooden
10. Oh! What a good ……………… he gave me that night. And then a really thick ……………… .
supper, bed of stra
IV. Based on your understanding of the story write the answers for the following questions in a sentence or two.
1. Did Black Beauty like to pull the cart?
Yes, Black Beauty liked to pull the cart, as it was very light and the high wheels rolled along so smoothly.
2. How was the weather?
The weather was rainy and windy.
3. Describe the bridge?
The low wooden bridge had sturdy rails on both sides. As the river banks were fairly high, the bridge went across just level.
4. What was the alternate plan suggested by John to reach the wooden bridge?
They must go back to four crossways. It would be about six miles before reaching the wooden bridge. This was the alternate plan suggested by John.
5. Why was Black Beauty reluctant to cross the bridge?
The moment Black Beauty’s feet touched the ground which was the first part of the bridge, the horse sensed something was wrong. So it was reluctant to cross the
V. Write the answers to the following questions in 100 words.
1. What did the man at the toll gate on the other side tell them?
The man at the toll gate on the other side told them that the river was rising fast.
2. Was Black Beauty afraid to cross the bridge?
No, Black Beauty was not afraid to cross the bridge. But it knew that there was some problem and the bridge was not safe to cross.
3. What did John think about human’s attitude toward animals?
God has given animals special knowledge to sense dangers.
4. What would have happened to all the three if Black Beauty had not been wiser?
If Black beauty had not been wiser, all the three would have been drowned at the wooden bridge.
VI. How will you take care of your pet? Write about in fifty words.
I will look after my pet as I treat myself. 1 will clean my pet and its residing place also regularly. I will give healthy food daily to my pet to eat. I will teach good manners to my pet every day. If I want to go out I will take my pet out with me. I’ll never allow my pet to eat useless food items.! will pay much attention to its health. I will take it to the veterinary doctor to know about its health condition every month.
Step to Success
Coding-Decoding verbal reasoning.
1. In a certain code language, if Violet is called as Green, Green is called as Red, Red is called as Brown, Brown is called as Orange, Orange is called as Yellow, Yellow is called as Blue, and Blue is called as Indigo, then what is the colour of human blood in that language?
2. In a certain code language, if Pen means Eraser, Eraser means Book, Book means Scale, Scale means Sharpener, Sharpener means Duster and Duster means Table, then what is the name of the object that is used to clean the blackboard in that language?
3. In a certain code language, if Bread is called Butter, Butter is called Milk, Milk is called Shirt, Shirt is called Shoe, Shoe is called Bicycle, Bicycle is called Watch, Watch is called Aeroplane and Aeroplane is called Ship, then which of the following indicates the time in that language?
Connecting to Self (Text Book Page No. 149)
Put a ✓ for the do’s and put a ✗ for dont’s
Picture – 1 We should stop and carefully cross. ✓
Picture – 2 Taking self! in front of a running train is dangerous. ✗
Picture – 3 Talking over the cellphone while drawing is dangerous. ✗
Picture – 4 Putting on the seat belt is correct. ✓
Picture – 5 Standing on the foot board and hanging on the bus is dangerous. ✗
Picture – 6 Playing on the road is dangerous. ✗
When Instinct Works Summary in English
The horse was harnessed to the new cart. On a rainy day, the horse was taken out. The river was in spate. The horse was taken on the wooden bridge. Suddenly the horse stopped. It refused to go forward. At that time man shouted them to stop. The bridge was broken in the middle. Part of the bridge had been carried away by the flood. The instinct of the horse saved the lives of men.
When Instinct Works Summary in Tamil
குதிரை வண்டியில் பூட்டப்பட்டது. ஒரு மழை நாளில், குதிரை வெளியே அழைத்துச் செல்லப்படுகிறது. நதி வெள்ளத்தில் பொங்கி கொண்டிருந்தது. குதிரை மரப்பாலத்தில் மீது சென்று கொண்டு இருந்தது. திடீரென குதிரை நின்றது. முன்னேறிச் செல்ல குதிரை மறுத்தது. அப்போது நிற்கும்படி ஒரு மனிதன் கத்தினான். மரப்பாலம் நடுவழியில் உடைந்து விட்டது. பாலத்தின் ஒரு பகுதி வெள்ளத்தில் அடித்து செல்லப்பட்டது. குதிரையின் உள்ளுணர்வு, மனிதர்கள் உயிரை காப்பாற்றியது.
When Instinct Works About the Author in English
Anna Sewell was an English writer of children’s classic ‘Black Beauty. Although it has to be treated as a children’s book, it was originally meant for those who took care of horses. She talks about kindness, sympathy and understanding in the treatment of horses.
When Instinct Works About the Author in Tamil
அன்னா சீயுல் குழந்தைகளுக்கான புத்தகம் எழுதும் எழுத்தாளர் ஆவாார். “Black Beauty” அவரது சிறந்த புத்தகம் ஆகும். ஆரம்பத்தில் இந்த கதை, குதிரையின் காப்பாளர்களுக்கு உரியது என்று நினைக்கப்பட்டது. அன்னா, குதிரைகளை கையாளும்போது நாம் காட்ட வேண்டிய அன்பு, கருணை, புரிதல் போன்ற நற்குணங்கள் பற்றிச் சொல்லுகிறார்.